With the snow, it seemed like a soup sort of day. I made a big pot of a beef and vegetable soup that everyone enjoyed. It was just the thing for a snowy day.
Beef and Vegetable Soup
2 lbs. ground beef
2 T Coconut Oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
6 small stalks celery with leaves,chopped
4 large carrots, peeled and diced
2 medium zucchini, chopped
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
½ tsp. fennel seed
½ tsp. red pepper flakes
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 can tomato paste
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
8 cups beef broth
4 cups red cabbage (about half a head) diced bite sized
About 4 oz. fresh spinach, chopped
1. Brown ground beef in large soup pot. Drain and rinse beef and set aside.
2. Wipe out pot and heat coconut oil in it over medium heat.
3. Add onions, celery, and carrots and sauté until translucent and veggies start to soften.
4. Add zucchini and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes more.
5. Add browned ground beef, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, fennel seed and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
6. Stir in tomato paste.
7. Add tomatoes and beef broth and bring to a boil.
8. Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes uncovered.
9. Add cabbage and spinach and simmer for 10 minutes, covered.
10. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese if you like.