Monday, January 4, 2010

The Holiday is over...

Monday and back to the old grind. Half of our school year is gone. 'Tis the season for resolutions and so it's a great time for me to evaluation how our school year has gone and update plans for the rest of the year. I never seem to have accomplished what I set out to back in August (and this year is no exception). I spent the summer praying over the needs of each child and painstakingly reading catalogues and homeschooling reviews. I spent hours writing out assignments. Unfortunately, those assignments have not all been checked off the lists. A good friend recently reminded me of the saying that, if you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans. I'm afraid He must laugh at me all the time! I have a tendency to focus on how "behind" we are in various subjects. Certainly it is good to work hard and I think that we have. If we worked hard and did what we could, then perhaps it was not God's will that we check off every science experiment and history project. So, among my resolutions this year, I will focus on the things we have accomplished, I will give thanks to God for the opportunity to be with my children every day as they learn and grow, I will be grateful for the tremendous blessings He has bestowed on us, and I will marvel at the generosity of our Lord who, as Father John Bartunek says in his book The Better Part, allows us to be "collaborators with the Blessed Trinity, ambassadors of God Himself."

No comments:

Post a Comment